Sunday 31 August 2014

DAVID HOYLE by David Dobson




David Hoyle
By David Dobson

“I hope nobody’s been offended” 

I remember late one night watching Channel 4 (way past my bedtime) when all of a sudden Divine David happened to me! I was completely unfamiliar with all things Avant-Garde but already felt a little out of sorts with the limited access I’d had to the scene in the village. It was powerfully liberating for me at that time to see not only a man in drag speaking to complete strangers in the street but a man looking like a ghoul from a Munch painting asking some very obscure questions of unsuspecting passers by. The completely confrontational and subversive nature of The Divine David Presents appealed to a side of me that expected more from gay culture.

Now I can’t honestly say that I watched the show religiously from that point on (the rigors of a late night TV schedule don’t gel well with the teenage stoners busy schedule) but the few times I did manage to catch it stuck with me to this day. Fortunately I now have the whole series to watch at my leisure and the joy has in no way diminished.

Whilst I regrettably never got to see David Hoyle perform as The Divine David live, I have seen a few live performances since The Divine prefix was abruptly terminated in 2000 and he still does not disappoint. It is rare to see a live performer that creates such an easy air of fear and joy. The anarchic paintings and diatribes on killing one’s children are not everyone’s cup of tea but whenever I see him, it’s like a gentle reminder to try and not take it all too seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment